Thursday, October 16, 2008

Faster no-knead bread

I am not a bread maker (maker, baker, whatevah). I have a bread making machine that I've used from time to time, but I don't think that counts. The idea of really making bread always seemed a bit time consuming and intimidating. I've read articles over the last year or two about the no-knead bread craze. I never thought about making it. Then recently in The New York Times, I read about the faster no-knead bread in Mark Bittman's Minimalist column.

And here we are on a day off from school and I thought, what the heck. I had my doubts. My assistant was Miss Lauren. She did the mixing, and although the recipe said the dough would be "shaggy", parts looked downright unmixed. Then I realized the pot I had was not as big as the recipe required. But we carried on.

I took it out of oven, sliced a slice and WOW, it was great! I mean really good! I mean great! Nice crunchy crust and soft tasty bread inside.

Now, a day later, and it's still good. The bottom of the bread was a little tough, but I'm guessing since I didn't have the right pot to bake it in I did not achieve absolute bread making perfection. But I came close. For a first time breadmaker (with a four year old doing most of the work), I'd say that's not bad.

Next I'll try the whole wheat version.

The only problem is I need more yummy carbs like a need a hole in the head.

No comments: